A partnership to protect workers in Ohio's rapidly growing craft brewing industry
BWC has formed an alliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Ohio offices and Ohio's craft brewery associations to protect workers in Ohio's rapidly growing craft brewing industry.
The alliance provides information, guidance, and access to training resources to improve the health and safety of brewery workers by preventing exposure to hazards during the brewing, storing, containerizing, handling, and delivery of craft beer.
- OSHA Ohio area offices
- BWC's Division of Safety & Hygiene
- Ohio Craft Brewers Association
- Brewers Association
- Master Brewers Association of the Americas District Midwest
Click here to learn more about the OSHA Craft Brewers Alliance, and BWC services and programs available to Ohio craft brewers.
Focusing on hazard prevention
Through the alliance, brewers will find ways to prevent common industry hazards, by learning best practices for:
- Ergonomics (sprains, strains, etc.).
- Powered industrial trucks.
- Permit-required confined space.
- Electrical work.
- Walking/Working surfaces (slips, trips, falls).
- Personal protective equipment.
- Hazard communication.
- Outside contractor safety.
Training and education resources
The alliance partners conduct forums and stakeholder meetings, training, and education to help:
- Foster innovative safety solutions in the workplace.
- Provide input on brewing industry safety and health issues.
- Encourage worker participation through increased hazard awareness and near-miss reporting.
Ohio's craft brewers also have free access to and can use existing Brewers Association web-based training (regardless of membership), on topics ranging from grain handling, and fermentation cleaning and sanitizing, to filtering and pumping, and powered industrial trucks.
Free workplace safety and health consultations
Finally, BWC's Division of Safety & Hygiene offers no-cost workplace safety and health consulting through the OSHA On-Site Consultation Program and its loss-prevention experts. BWC's workplace safety professionals, industrial hygienists and ergonomists will help craft brewers develop and maintain effective safety-management programs to realize the business value of safety.
For more information, contact one of the compliance assistance specialists from your local Ohio OSHA office, or call BWC at 1-800-282-1425.
NOTE: Through the OSHA and Ohio Craft Brewers Alliance, BWC developed this web page for informational purposes only. It does not necessarily reflect the official views of OSHA or the U.S. Department of Labor. 05/2019