Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program
The nation's substance use epidemic touches us all, including the business community. Employers have jobs to fill but hesitate to hire workers with a drug-use history. Workers recovering from addiction want to work but aren't given the chance. Other workers might be addicted, but go undetected, putting workplace safety at risk.
Our Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program (SURWSP) can help.
Brought to you in partnership with Recovery Ohio, this program provides funding to help employers more effectively manage substance use issues in their workplace. Eligible employers can enroll in the program and get reimbursement for:
- Development and legal review of employer policies and procedures about substance use issues.
- Training for employees to understand substance use and their employer’s related policies.
- Training to equip supervisors and managers to better manage employees in recovery.
- Drug testing for prospective and current employees for those employers with recovery-friendly “second chance” testing policies.
- Access to a free employee wellness incentive program, our Better You! Better Ohio! program.
The enrollment process is easy and starts with eligibility. We'll take you through the step-by-step process for enrollment and reimbursement.
To enroll, complete the SURWSP Enrollment Form (SUR-1). Employers meeting the eligibility requirements will receive additional information on program participation. Enrollment in the program does not obligate you to perform any duties or requirements. Program requirements and obligations only apply if you decide to seek reimbursement.
Prior to submitting your request to BWC, please complete the following two items. Reimbursement requests will not be paid until you complete both items.
- If you have not already done so, you must register for a Payee ID from the State of Ohio. Full details on how to register can be found at OhioPays.
- Fill out and return the SURWSP Agreement Form (SUR-3) to BWC at BWCSURWSP.Reimbursement@bwc.state.oh.us.
When you are ready to submit a reimbursement request to BWC:
- Download and save the SURWSP Request for Reimbursement (SUR-2) form to your computer.
- Complete the SUR-2 form.
- Include the State of Ohio Payee ID number for your company on the SUR–2. The Payee ID number is ten digits long and starts with several zeroes. Your reimbursement request cannot be processed without it.
- Save the completed SUR-2 form to your computer.
- Open the completed SUR-2 form and click the Submit button. This will automatically create an email to send to BWCSURWSP.Reimbursement@bwc.state.oh.us.
- Attach the supporting documentation listed on the form to the email.
- Hit the “Send” button on your email.
*Reimbursement requests are accepted on a rolling basis. To qualify as eligible for reimbursement, the request for reimbursement of the expense must be received by BWC within one year of the date the service was provided to the employer. Reimbursement is available on a first come, first served basis while funding and BWC resources are available. Both the program and funding may be modified or suspended at any time.
For your convenience, BWC is conducting free 25-minute webinars to learn more about the Substance Use Recover and Workplace Program.
Click the appropriate link below to register