Web Content Viewer

Domestic Coverage

Domestic worker job duties include:

  • Cooking.
  • Gardening.
  • Housekeeping.
  • Babysitting.

You should include workers you hire as employees to provide home improvement for construction type activities to your residence if the worker does not have his or her own business or their own workers' compensation insurance.


  • A domestic household employer who pays workers $160 or more in any calendar quarter must provide workers' compensation coverage. BWC defines a calendar quarter as any consecutive 13-week period.
  • If you're hiring a contractor to perform home improvement and/or construction activities, you may want to verify they have active workers' compensation coverage.

To apply for domestic household coverage, complete the Application for Ohio Workers' Compensation Coverage (U-3). Coverage becomes effective on the date BWC receives the completed U-3 and the required $120 non-refundable application fee.

If you have domestic household coverage, reportable wages are not subject to minimum and maximum payroll reporting requirements.

To cancel coverage, you can use the Coverage cancellation service offering or submit a Notification of Policy Update (U-117).