Web Content Viewer

Overview of Benefit Types

To determine which benefits you're eligible for, contact your assigned claims service specialist (CSS) or BWC at 1-800-644-6292.

For claims in Allowed status, we offer the following types of benefits.

  • Temporary total (TT) compensation – Compensates a worker who becomes disabled due to a work-related injury or occupational disease.
  • Permanent partial (PP) – Scheduled loss – Compensates an injured worker when a certain amount of permanent damage remains, such as the loss of your vision, hearing or an amputation caused by a work injury.
  • Percent of permanent partial (% PP) – Compensates an injured worker when a percentage of lasting effects or permanent damage remains, such as a broken arm that can no longer extend to its fullest degree.
  • Permanent total disability (PTD) – Compensates an injured worker for the inability to perform sustained remunerative employment due to the work-related injury. Remunerative means the injured worker will no longer be able to perform work for which they will be paid (compensated).
  • Wage loss (WL) – Compensates an injured worker for reduced earnings as a direct result of restrictions from the allowed injury condition(s) in the claim.
  • Living maintenance (LM) – Compensates an injured worker while the worker is actively participating in an approved rehabilitation plan.
  • Lump sum advancement (LSA) – Pre-payment of future compensation for financial relief and rehabilitation purposes only. It compensates an injured worker for things such as household bills, installing a handicap lift in your van, etc.
  • Lump sum settlement (LSS) – A written agreement that results in the closure of a claim, or part of a claim, as defined by the terms of the settlement agreement. A LSS agreement can be entered at an administrative level (BWC) or court level.
  • Change of occupation (COA) – Compensates injured workers, such as coal miners, firefighters, and police officers, who have been medically advised to change their job (occupation).
  • Facial disfigurement (FD) – A one-time award granted to the injured worker for visible damage to the face or head with the potential to impair the injured worker's ability to secure or retain employment.
  • Accrued compensation – The unpaid portion of a benefit award for a claim in Allowed status. It's paid to an injured worker's dependents at the time of his or her death, regardless of whether the death was a result of the allowed work injury.
  • Travel reimbursement – We'll reimburse an injured worker for reasonable and necessary travel expenses when certain criteria are met.
  • Death claim (Survivor benefit) – Filed by the spouse or dependents of an injured worker who died because of an industrial (job-related) injury or occupational disease.
  • Violation of specific safety requirement (VSSR) – Compensates an injured worker, or their dependent(s) if there has been a worker fatality, when there is evidence that a violation has (or may have) occurred from the failure of the employer to comply with a specific safety requirement.
  • Wages in lieu of temporary total compensation (Salary continuation) - A voluntary program where the employer continues to pay the injured worker's full salary and benefits in lieu of any compensation from BWC.