Web Content Viewer

Temporary total (TT) compensation benefit

The Temporary Total (TT) Compensation benefit compensates workers who becomes disabled due to a work-related injury or occupational disease. TT Compensation helps replace lost work income and is usually the first form of compensation that an injured worker in Ohio will receive.

An injured worker may qualify for TT Compensation benefits if the injury restricts them from working for more than seven (7) calendar days and the doctor (or Physician of Record [POR]):

  • Restricted them from any kind of work due to the work-related injury;
  • Released them to return to work with modified duties, but the employer does not have work available to meet those restrictions.

Note: Doctors are also called the “Physician of Record (POR)” or a “treating physician.” A Physician of Record (POR) is a BWC-certified medical provider.

Requesting TT compensation benefits

BWC pays TT Compensation benefits to the injured worker based on medical evidence that the doctor (POR) provides on the Physician's Report of Work Ability (MEDCO-14) form.

The doctor (POR) must submit a Physician's Report of Work Ability (MEDCO-14) form after every injured worker office visits, unless BWC awards Permanent Total Disability (PTD) or the worker returns to work.

To request the TT Compensation benefit, the following items must be submitted to BWC by fax, mail or online:

  • A completed (C-84) Request for Temporary Total Compensation form. The injured worker must complete this form every time they request TT Compensation – whether it's for the first time (the initial period) or an extension (extending an existing period).
  • A completed Physician's Report of Work Ability (MEDCO-14). This report provides important information about the injured worker's ability to work and any current restrictions. The doctor (POR) must complete this form, but it is the injured worker's responsibility to get the completed form from their doctor (POR) and submit it to BWC.
  • A Wages-IW Injured Workers Earning Statement from all the injured worker's employers (past and present) for the 52 weeks prior to the date of the injury. To prove those earnings, the injured worker can submit:
    • Copies of their paystubs;
    • A report from their previous employer(s) that includes the required information, such as pay periods and frequency of payment amounts;
    • A completed Wages-EMP Employer Report of Employee Earnings form from any previous employer(s) during the past 52 weeks.

View a brief video for more information on how to request TT compensation.

Determining a TT compensation award

For the first 12 weeks after the date of the injury, TT Compensation benefits are paid at the injured worker's full weekly-wage (FWW) rate. This rate is based on their earnings for the six (6) weeks and/or seven (7) days prior to the date of the injury. An average of these earnings is calculated, and TT Compensation is paid at 72 percent (72%) of this average.

After 12 weeks of missed work, TT Compensation benefits are paid at an average weekly-wage (AWW) rate. This rate is based on their earnings for the 52 weeks prior to the date of their injury. An average of these earnings is calculated, and TT Compensation is paid at 66 2/3 percent (66 2/3 %) of this average.

Important: BWC does not pay TT Compensation benefits for the first seven (7) days of an injury until the injured worker has been unable to work for 14 or more consecutive days. Once the injured worker has missed 14 or more consecutive (calendar) days, BWC will compensate them for the total number of days missed. The first seven (7) days are payable with other compensation benefit types. If you have questions, call the CSS or refer to Receiving benefits for more information.

Understanding the TT benefit rate

BWC bases the TT Compensation benefit rate on the injured worker's wages at the time of your injury. The injured worker will need to provide BWC with proof of their earnings for one year (52 weeks) prior to the date of the injury. Proof can be documents such as pay stubs, W2s, a wage statement, or a Wages-IW Injured Workers Earning Statement from your employer.

The weekly benefit rate cannot exceed the statewide average weekly wage for the year in which the worker was injured. The statewide average weekly wage is the average weekly wage for all Ohioans.

For the first 12 weeks of missed work, the injured worker will receive 72 percent (72%) of their full weekly wage. After 12 weeks of missed work, the worker will receive TT Compensation at the rate of 66.67 (66 2/3 %) percent of their average weekly wage.

Determining when TT payments end

The injured worker's TT Compensation benefit payments will stop if:

  • The worker returns to work. However, they may be eligible for other types of compensation if their injuries require them to work fewer hours than normal while recovering. Talk to the BWC Claims Service Specialist (CSS) about this option;
  • The injured worker's doctor (treating physician) indicates that they can return to their former position;
  • The employer makes work available that meets the restrictions indicated by the doctor (treating physician);
  • The injured worker has reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI). This means the allowed conditions have stabilized and no improvements and/or changes can be expected with reasonable medical probability;
  • The injured worker is working for any employer during their disability period;
  • The injured worker is incarcerated;
  • The injured worker voluntarily abandons employment.