Web Content Viewer

Wage loss (WL) benefit

WL is paid to an injured worker whose earnings are reduced due to the allowed injury in their claim

Wage Loss (WL) is paid to an injured worker whose earnings are reduced as a direct result of restrictions from the allowed injury in their worker’s compensation claim. The WL benefit is payable with an injury or diagnosis claim date on or after August 22, 1986.

Two conditions must be met for WL eligibility:

  • A loss or decrease in wages exists.
  • Proof that the wage loss is a direct result of the restrictions caused by the allowed injury. This proof can be medical documentation from the doctor (treating physician) that states the injured worker’s restrictions.

There are two types of WL benefits:

  • Working wage loss (WWL) – This is payable when the injured worker returns to employment other than in his or her former position, but receives less pay because of their work restrictions. This could include a return to work with their employer of record (where the injury happened) or at a new employer with different job duties or fewer hours.
  • Non-working wage loss (NWWL) – This is payable when the injured worker is released to return to work with restrictions, but is unable to find suitable employment. To qualify for NWWL, the injured worker must demonstrate that he/she is making a good faith job search effort to secure employment within his/her physical restrictions.

Requesting WL benefits

To request the WL benefit, complete the (C-140) Initial Application for Wage Loss Compensation form.

To request ongoing WWL benefits, complete the (C-142) Employer Report of Employee Earnings for Wage Loss Compensation form, then submit the injured worker's pay stubs or other proof of earnings.
To request ongoing NWWL benefits, complete the (C-141) Wage Loss Statement for Job Search form to show proof that the injured worker is actively seeking employment.

WL award amount

To find out the award amount, contact the assigned Claims Service Specialist (CSS).