Web Content Viewer


To receive workers' compensation benefits a work-related injury must be reported to BWC

When an employee is injured on the job, that injured worker (or other involved parties) need to file a workers' compensation claim with BWC. 

We classify claims into two categories, medical only or lost time.

  • Medical-only  claim means the injured worker has missed seven or fewer days of work due to the work-related injury. The worker can receive treatment and / or benefits for the injury, yet still can report to work.
  • Lost-time  claim means the injured worker has missed more than eight days of work.

Watch this brief video to learn  what to expect in the next 30 days in the claims process .

Important:  If the injured worker is employed by a self-insuring employer, refer to  Understanding self-insured claims .