The nation's substance use epidemic touches us all, including the business community. Employers have jobs to fill but hesitate to hire workers with a drug-use history. Workers recovering from addiction want to work but aren't given the chance. Other workers might be addicted but go undetected, putting workplace safety at risk.
The Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program can help.
Brought to you by your local Alcohol Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services board (ADAMHS) and the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation, this program will provide the following for employers that hire workers in recovery:
- Reimbursement for development of employer policies and procedures about substance use issues, and legal review of employer policies and procedures.
- Reimbursement for training for employees to understand their employer’s substance use policies, dispel myths about drugs, and understand issues about substance use.
- Reimbursement for training to equip supervisors and managers to better manage employees in recovery.
- Reimbursement for drug testing for prospective and current employees in recovery.
- Access to a free employee wellness incentive program for the entire organization; BWC’s Better You! Better Ohio! program.
You'll find the program policy in the Policies section of our website.
To enroll, complete the Substance Use Recovery Workplace Safety Program Enrollment Form.
To apply for reimbursement of any of the above services, download and complete the Substance Use Recovery Workplace Safety Program Request for Reimbursement. Then, email it to the appropriate ADAMHS board.
For more information, you can contact your home county ADAMHS board.
- Adams, Lawrence and Scioto: 740-354-5648 or email@example.com
- Clark, Greene, and Madison: 937-322-0648 Ext: 119 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clermont: 513-732-5407 or Kscherra@ccmhrb.org
- Cuyahoga: 216-479-3269 or Henderson@adamhscc.org
- Lorain: 440-282-9920 or email@example.com
- Mahoning: 330-746-2959 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marion: 740-387-8531 or Brad.DeCamp@mcadamh.com
- Muskingum, Perry, Coshocton, Guernsey, Morgan, Noble: 740-454-8557 ext 100 or Eshuster@mhrs.org
- Montgomery: 937-443-0416 or SURWSP@mcadamhs.org
- Fayette, Highland, Pickaway, Pike and Ross: 740-773-2283 or email@example.com
To review the list of BWC approved Drug-Free safety vendors, see the DFSP vendor directory.
To contact BWC with questions, email us at BWCSURWSP@bwc.state.oh.us.
Workforce toll: In a survey of more than 3,200 businesses and nearly 1,500 community leaders, the Ohio Chamber of Commerce found more than half are suffering consequences of substance misuse, including absenteeism, decreased productivity, and shortage of workers.
"What we know from our experience is that when people want to recover from an addiction and you give them the tools, they will recover. We have several workers in recovery, including supervisors, who are committed, loyal and do very well here." - Bart Frost, HR and safety director, Taylor Lumber, Scioto County.
Working together, we can turn this around.