While all employers with one (or more) employees must have workers' comp coverage there are different types of coverage separate from basic private-employer coverage.
- Elective coverage - Coverage is elective for certain business owners or officers.
- Domestic coverage - Domestic workers are those employees hired to work in and around the home.
- Volunteer coverage - Generally, volunteers are not covered because they receive no wages. However, employers may elect or be required to cover these individuals in certain situations.
- Coal mine operators' coverage - Coal mine operators and certain other employers engaged in coal mine construction, maintenance and coal transportation may be required to carry Black Lung coverage.
- USL&H and Marine Industry employer's coverage - Employers with employees engaged in maritime-related job duties and who work, in whole or in part, upon the navigable waters of the United States.