Division of Safety & Hygiene School Tools
This site provides resources, tools and templates that will help school districts maintain a safe and healthy environment.
- Safer Schools Ohio – focuses on school climate, safety, security and emergency management concerns in the K-12 and higher education environments.
- Safety Checklist Program for Schools – from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Program – From the U.S. EPA. Assists school districts in identifying the actions they can take to successfully plan and implement an effective indoor air quality management program.
- School Bus Safety Program – from the National Highway Safety Administration. Links to relevant publications and resources as well as a lengthy list of other organizations’ Web sites.
- School Transportation Safety – from the Ohio Dept of Education. Offers information on training, rules and requirements, safety, etc.
- Clean School Bus USA – from the U.S. EPA. Promotes anti-idling as a way to save fuel and promote clean air.
- School Chemistry Laboratory Safety Guide – from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- Flinn Scientific – a vendor of science supplies and safety and health information on chemistry and biology in schools. Although BWC does not endorse or promote any particular vendor, this Web site provides many resources to assist science teachers and school districts with their chemical management programs. Flinn’s Chemical and Biological Catalog is available at no cost to science teachers and is a highly recommended resource.
- Ohio Department of Health’s School Environmental Health and Safety Program Web page – This Web page provides recommendations for establishing a safe and healthy school environment. You will find a link to an assessment tool on the left side of this page in addition to other helpful resources for a school environmental health and safety program.