The ergonomics tools and resources below are designed to be used in your workplace. If you'd like assistance or additional information about ergonomics, contact your local service office, or request consulting services online. Please have your BWC policy number ready. A safety consultant will contact you within two business days.
Ergonomic Internet resources
- Applied Ergonomics Society - Features case studies, discussions, news and conference information.
- BWC Division of Safety & Hygiene - Ergonomics - Access all of BWC's ergonomics services, resources and information from this web page.
- Cornell University Ergonomics Web - Presents information from research studies and class work by students and faculty in the Cornell Human Factors and Ergonomics Research Group.
- Cost Benefits Analysis - To help practitioners better quantify the benefits of ergonomics, the Puget Sound Chapter of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society offers a free download of a cost-benefit calculator.
- Ergonomics 4 Schools - Created by the UK Ergonomics Society to promote learning about ergonomics among secondary school students and their teachers.
- Ergonomics & Construction - Presents Web resources on construction-related ergonomics, compiled by the Laborers' Health & Safety Fund of North America.
- Ergonomics Information from the University of California, San Diego - Provides guidelines for work design and establishing ergonomics programs. Presents risk factors specific to a variety of jobs.
- Ergoweb - Includes case studies, ergonomics news stories, products, and services. Provides a list of ergonomics products and services, including HCI / Usability, for industrial and office environments.
- Handle With Care® - Describes the American Nurses Association’s Handle With Care® campaign which seeks to build a health care industry-wide effort to prevent back and other musculoskeletal injuries.
- Introduction to Computer Workstation Ergonomic Training - Designed by the University System of Georgia, this online training aims to educate employees on the importance and benefits of properly interfacing with their computer workstation.
- Modern Materials Handling Online - On-line version of Modern Materials Handling, a magazine written for managers and engineers who recommend, select or buy materials handling systems and equipment for manufacturing and distribution operations.
- MSD Prevention Guideline for Ontario - Ontario's Workplace Safety and Insurance Board offers publications, fact sheets and a database of resources for the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Ergonomics - Provides publications and other resources on ergonomics and musculoskeletal disorders. Includes research, programs and interventions, lifting, back belts and back injury, computer use and vibration.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Ergonomics - Includes sections on recognition, control, online assistance tools, success stories, and case abstracts and programs.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries Information page from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Basic information about Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs), including VDT workstation setup guidelines and suggested exercises.
- Safe Patient Handling and Movement - Features patient-care ergonomics resource guide and sample no-lift and restraint policies. From U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VHA Patient Safety Center.
- Simple Solutions: Ergonomics for Construction Workers - Presents practical ideas to help reduce the risk of repetitive stress injury in common construction tasks. A publication from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- Spine Research Institute - Describes and presents the results of this research program that focuses on improving the state of spine disorder prevention and treatment techniques. Includes downloadable articles.
- Strains & Sprains page from the Washington State Dept of Labor & Industry - Offers an ideas bank, case studies, evaluation tools and industry guidelines from Washington State.