Web Content Viewer
Web Content Viewer
This page addresses frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Public Employment Risk Reduction Program (PERRP).

Laws and regulations

What standards are enforced by PERRP?
PERRP has incorporated by reference all federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 29 Parts 1910, 1926 and 1928 as Ohio Employment Risk Reduction Standards. All adopted Ohio Employment Risk Reduction Standards are found in Chapter 4167 of the Ohio Revised Code and the Ohio Administrative Code.

If you would like to be notified of future changes to PERRP rules or operations, email PERRPupdate@bwc.state.oh.us

What are the most commons standards cited? 
Each calendar year PERRP compiles statistics on the top 25 recognized hazards identified during voluntary and enforcement inspections. Public employers and employees can use the lists to help identify hazardous conditions in their workplace.

Employee rights

What are your rights if you are a public employee?
Public employees have a right to a safe and healthful workplace free from recognized hazards. Employees may:  

To file a complaint or report an imminent danger condition, call 1-800-671-6858. 

Who can file a safety and health complaint?
A current public employee (i.e., persons employed by state agencies, counties, cities, townships, villages, school districts, state universities and special districts) or employee representative (e.g., union official). Peace officers employed by public employers do not fall under PERRP jurisdiction. 

Note: PERRP does not have jurisdiction to process complaints from former public employees; family members of a public employee; or members of the general public. 

What is a formal complaint?
Under Ohio law, public employees who believe that a hazardous condition exists in their workplace that threatens physical harm, or creates an imminent danger, may file a complaint with PERRP requesting an inspection. Filing a complaint is confidential and your name will not be revealed to your employer.

If you think your job is unsafe and you want to discuss your concerns, contact us at 1-800-671-6858. 

You can also send us an email. Please include your name and contact information in your correspondence so that we can call you back and discuss your concerns. Click here to start the conversation!

When will my complaint be sent to my employer? 
Within five business days of the receipt of the complaint, PERRP will send a letter of notification to the public employer by certified mail, which outlines the allegations. This notification letter will not include the name(s) of the complainant(s). 

How long does my employer have to respond to my complaint, and what does the employer have to do?
The public employer must investigate, correct and respond to the allegations within 30 days. If the employer does not respond, or if PERRP determines the response is inadequate, an inspection of the workplace will result. 

Two outcomes can result from a complaint inspection. 

  1. PERRP determines there are no reasonable grounds to believe that a violation or danger exists. If this occurs, the complainant will be notified of the outcome. 
  2. PERRP identifies violations and issues citations to the employer that require corrective action. If the employer fails to correct identified hazards within the allotted time, they may face fines. 

What are the conditions to file a refusal to work?
If you believe your employer is asking you to perform work that presents an imminent danger of death or serious physical harm, you have a right to refuse those job assignments. 

Examples of potential imminent danger conditions include: working in a trench or excavation without adequate protection; entering and performing work in a confined space without proper equipment and training; working in a roadway right-of-way without high visibility work apparel or advance warning signs. 

How do I file a refusal to work?
You must notify your immediate supervisor that the assigned work task has a risk of death or physical harm. If the employer refuses to correct the hazardous conditions, you must notify PERRP by calling 1-800-671-6858. You will be required to submit a written statement that describes the imminent danger conditions to PERRP.

Am I protected from discrimination or retaliation? 
Yes. Employees are protected from discrimination or retaliation for exercising their rights under the Act. Employees who feel they have been discriminated for exercising their rights can file an appeal with the State Personnel Board of Review. 

Employer rights and responsibilities

What are my responsibilities as a public employer?

  1. Provide a workplace free from recognized hazards and comply with standards and rules adopted under Ohio Revised Code Chapter 4167
  2. Post a notice (PERRP poster) that informs public employees about their rights.
  3. Post and submit the annual Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (300AP).
  4. Post enforcement citations in a location near the point of violation where affected employees can review the findings.
  5. Post and submit abatement verification documentation that demonstrates you have corrected hazardous conditions that were identified during an inspection.

What are my rights as a public employer?

  1. Request an informal conference to discuss enforcement citation findings, possible abatement dates and methods of compliance.
  2. Contest issued citations.
  3. Request an extension of a citation abatement date.
  4. Request PERRP to conduct a voluntary risk reduction inspection to identify hazardous conditions before they result in an enforcement inspection.

Are public employers required to display a job safety and health poster?
Yes. You must display a "notice" to inform employees of their rights and responsibilities. You can order a printed copy of the required poster or you can download and print a copy on 8 ½ x 14 (legal) size paper.
Note: The Federal OSHA poster is not required for public employment workplaces. 

When I am required to report a fatality or hospitalization?
Public employers must report workplace fatalities and hospitalizations within eight hours. All fatalities must be reported to PERRP including heart attacks and motor vehicle accidents. Incidents that require in-patient hospitalization of an injured worker must also be reported.  

How do I file a fatality or hospitalization report? 

  • Call PERRP at 1-800-671-6858, and press option 1
  • If you have to leave a message, provide your name, phone number, employer's name and a brief description of the incident.  

If citations are issued after an enforcement visit, what am I required to do?
You must post the citations after they're received. Citations must be posted at or near the work location where the alleged violation occurred and where affected employees may review the findings. All citations must remain posted until all alleged violations are corrected, or for three working days, whichever is longer. 

When do I need to submit abatement verification for citations that I have received?
You must file an abatement verification report within 14 days of the abatement date that appears on each citation. Abatement Verification Report (PERRP-4)

Abatement verification documentation must be posted where affected employees may review the materials. 

Do I have to complete the corrective action report that was sent after my compliance assistance visit?
Yes. You must file a corrective action report in response to compliance assistance visits. The report should be filed within 90 days of the visit. You do not have to wait until all items in the report have been corrected before you submit your initial report. Click here to submit your corrective action report.

If I receive a complaint letter, what am I required to do?
Investigate, correct and respond within 30 days of receiving a complaint notification letter. Safety and Health Complaint Response (PERRP-5)

Injury and illness recordkeeping

What recordkeeping forms are public employers required to use and maintain?

  • The Injury and Illness Incident Report (301P) - This form must be filled out within six calendar days of when a recordable work-related injury or illness occurs. It's a detailed report of important facts about each incident. You must keep this form on file for five years following the year to which it pertains. PERRP can request to see these forms at any time. You must have a 301P (or equivalent) form for each incident entered on the 300P. 
  • Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (300P) - Use this form to record: 
    • Information about every work-related death and every work-related injury or illness that involves loss of consciousness, restricted work activity or job transfer, days away from work, or medical treatment beyond first aid.
    • Significant work-related injuries and illnesses that a physician or other practicing licensed health-care professional diagnoses.
    • Work-related injuries and illnesses that meet any of the specific criteria listed in the instructions for these forms. 
  • The Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (300AP) - This form is a summary of your Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (300P). Transfer the totals from each category column on the 300P to the corresponding fields on the 300AP. Record 0 in a field if you did not have an entry for that category. The law requires this form be completed, posted in the workplace and submitted to PERRP on or before Feb. 1 each year.

Click here to download the Recordkeeping forms (300P, 300AP, 301P) and instructions. (PDF)

Click here to download PERRP Microsoft Excel recordkeeping forms. (XLMS)

Click here to download a PERRP recordkeeping training presentation. (PDF)

When do I have to submit the 300AP?
The 300AP for the previous calendar year must be submitted by Feb. 1 each year.

How do I submit the 300AP?
Click here for a short video that explains the 300AP submission process.