BWC's School Safety and Security Grant (SSSG) Program provides assistance to Ohio employers with ensuring the safety of their staff who instruct children throughout the state. The program is available to eligible Ohio employers who wish to purchase equipment to substantially improve the safety and security of facilities, and to reduce or eliminate injuries or illnesses associated with providing educational services to children.
The program is available only to Ohio employers that operate licensed preschool through 12th grade educational facilities. View the complete policy for the program here. Eligible employers may receive up to $40,000 for the duration of the program.
- Be a state-fund, private or public employer taxing district.
- Be a licensed preschool through 12th grade educational organization/agency that provides direct instructional services to children. All applicants must provide information in their application that clearly describes the services they provide to this population. Eligible employers (among others) include:
- County boards of developmental disabilities.
- Educational service centers.
- Public school districts (including charter schools).
- Private schools (including licensed pre-K schools).
Note: Public and private colleges and universities are not eligible for this grant.
- Have active Ohio workers' compensation coverage, and maintain continuous active coverage while participating in the program.
- Not have more than 40 days of cumulative lapses in workers' compensation coverage within the prior 12 months.
- Be current with respect to all payments due BWC as defined in Ohio Administrative Code 4123-17-14.
- Have been in existence for at least two years.
- Have reported payroll for at least one full policy year.
- Timely report actual payroll for the preceding policy year and pay any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium and actual premium. We'll deem an employer to have met this requirement if we receive the payroll true-up report and any associated premium before the expiration of any grace period.
Unless otherwise specified here, all application requirements, eligibility, participation criteria, reporting and procedures stated for the Safety Intervention Grant Program apply to applicants and participants of the SSSG Program.
- Determine your eligibility. Eligible employers may apply for up to $40,000 from BWC.
- Equipment purchases are a 3-to-1 matching grant.
- The SSSG Program will only pay for equipment from the approved list of items.
- From the following items, determine which you will apply for.
- Employee safety interventions.
- Flooring/Floor coatings designed to reduce slip hazards.
- Lightweight lunch tables that reduce lifting and handling hazards.
- Motorized bleacher systems.
- Safe food fryers.
- Cutting/slicing equipment.
- Floor cleaning machines.
- Incident response equipment.
- Equipment bags/backpacks stocked with trauma first aid supplies.
- Two-way communication devices and software designed to directly interface with emergency responder radio systems.
- School-wide panic alarm/panic button system.
- Building/grounds/transportation security.
- Interior and exterior security doors and mechanisms (e.g., panic bars or other fire code compliant door locking mechanisms, bullet proof glass, bullet resistant coating materials for existing glass).
- Protective vehicle crash barriers in front of entrances.
- Modifications of building/facility entrances to restrict access.
- Secured keycard systems.
- Metal detectors (fixed or portable).
- Security cameras.
- Emergency (police dispatch) call poles.
- Contact your equipment vendor and obtain price quote(s).
Application for School Safety & Security Grant (SSSG) (SH-56).
If you have questions, or you are ready to apply for a grant, contact us today!