Web Content Viewer
Web Content Viewer
Applying for Benefits
Injured workers eligible to receive benefits must apply with the BWC

In Ohio, most injured workers return to work within the first week after their injury. However, some injured workers cannot return to work for a short period of time and require temporary benefits.

To receive workers’ compensation benefits, an injured worker must:

  • Have a BWC Order (which is a written notice) showing that their workers’ compensation claim is in Allowed status.

    Note: Allowed, Approved, and Accepted are also terms used for BWC approval status. A medical-only claim in Allowed status may qualify for benefits even if there is no lost time from work. Contact a Medical Claims Specialist (MCS) for details.
  • Provide BWC and the Managed Care Organization (MCO) with all requested information related to the claim. To give authorization that releases your medical records, an injured worker must complete the (C-101) Authorization to Release Medical Information form.

  • Create an e-account. Refer to Creating an e-account for more information.

  • Set up a way to receive the benefits compensation (BWC payments). Refer to receiving benefits for more information.

Once an injured worker returns to work, Temporary Total (TT) Compensation benefits will end. However, an injured worker may be eligible for other types of compensation. The information below provides you complete information about receiving compensation benefits.