Web Content Viewer
Web Content Viewer
Receiving benefits
The information you need to know about BWC payments

Determining the start date

BWC does not pay Temporary Total (TT) Compensation for the first seven (7) days of an injury until the injured worker has been unable to work for 14 or more consecutive days. Once the injured worker has missed 14 or more consecutive (calendar) days, BWC will compensate them for the total number of days missed.

For example, if a worker is injured on July 1st, and:

  • Cannot work from July 1st through July 30th
    • The injured worker is paid for July 1st through July 30th (including July 1st through July 14th)
  • Cannot work from July 1st through July 12th
    • The injured worker is paid for July 8th through July 12th (but will not receive TT Compensation for July 1st through July 7th, unless he/she still cannot work on July 14th or after)


  • The first seven (7) days are payable with other types of compensation benefits.
  • An injured worker's medical-only claim in Allowed status may qualify for benefits even if there is no lost time from work. Contact a Medical Claims Specialist (MCS) for details.


Paying benefits

BWC’s electronically deposits all payments (compensation) unless there are reasons why they can’t (extenuating circumstances) or if the injured worker does not have a Social Security number.

If the claim is in Allowed status, BWC will mail the first compensation payment as a paper check (also called a paper warrant) to the injured worker's home address (or designated locale) via U.S. mail, along with a letter about signing up for direct deposit. BWC also provides overnight delivery for paper checks that are lost in the mail or were not mailed in a timely manner.

Unless the injured worker provides the existing personal bank account information, BWC will set up the injured worker with a Key Bank Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) debit card account. The EBT debit card provides 24-hour access anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

All BWC benefit payments are eligible for the following payment methods. The injured worker can:

• Deposit benefit payments and/or travel payments directly into one of their existing personal checking or savings accounts. This is called Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and the payment is automatically transferred to their bank. To apply for this service, complete the (A-12) ACT Enrollment and Direct Deposit Authorization form.

• Enroll in the Key Bank debit card program. If the injured worker does not have a personal bank account, Key Bank will issue a debit card and have the benefit payment automatically transferred to that debit card account. This is called Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). To apply for this service, complete the (A-21) EBT – Electronic Benefit Card Enrollment Application.

For more information about BWC benefit payment programs, contact a local claims office or call BWC at 1-800-644-6292.


Changing financial institutions

To change a financial account from one bank (financial institution) to another, complete the (A-35) Direct Deposit ACT Bank Change form. This is a direct deposit change form.