Web Content Viewer
Web Content Viewer
Types of benefits
For claims in an Allowed status, there are many benefit types available for injured workers.

To determine which benefits you're eligible for, contact your assigned claims service specialist (CSS) or BWC at 1-800-644-6292.

For claims in Allowed status, we offer the following types of benefits.

  • Temporary total (TT) compensation – Compensates a worker who becomes disabled due to a work-related injury or occupational disease.
  • Permanent partial (PP) – Scheduled loss – Compensates an injured worker when a certain amount of permanent damage remains, such as the loss of your vision, hearing or an amputation caused by a work injury.
  • Percent of permanent partial (%PP) – Compensates an injured worker when a percentage of lasting effects or permanent damage remains, such as a broken arm that can no longer extend to its fullest degree.
  • Permanent total disability (PTD) – Compensates an injured worker for the inability to perform sustained remunerative employment due to the work-related injury. Remunerative means the injured worker will no longer be able to perform work for which they will be paid (compensated).
  • Wage loss (WL) – Compensates an injured worker for reduced earnings as a direct result of restrictions from the allowed injury condition(s) in the claim.
  • Living maintenance (LM) – Compensates an injured worker while the worker is actively participating in an approved rehabilitation plan.
  • Lump sum advancement (LSA) – Pre-payment of future compensation for financial relief and rehabilitation purposes only. It compensates an injured worker for things such as household bills, installing a handicap lift in your van, etc.
  • Lump sum settlement (LSS) – A written agreement that results in the closure of a claim, or part of a claim, as defined by the terms of the settlement agreement. A LSS agreement can be entered at an administrative level (BWC) or court level.
  • Change of occupation (COA) – Compensates injured workers, such as coal miners, firefighters, and police officers, who have been medically advised to change their job (occupation).
  • Facial disfigurement (FD) – A one-time award granted to the injured worker for visible damage to the face or head with the potential to impair the injured worker's ability to secure or retain employment.
  • Accrued compensation – The unpaid portion of a benefit award for a claim in Allowed status. It's paid to an injured worker's dependents at the time of his or her death, regardless of whether the death was a result of the allowed work injury.
  • Travel reimbursement – We'll reimburse an injured worker for reasonable and necessary travel expenses when certain criteria are met.
  • Death claim (Survivor benefit) – Filed by the spouse or dependents of an injured worker who died because of an industrial (job-related) injury or occupational disease.
  • Violation of specific safety requirement (VSSR) – Compensates an injured worker, or their dependent(s) if there has been a worker fatality, when there is evidence that a violation has (or may have) occurred from the failure of the employer to comply with a specific safety requirement.
  • Wages in lieu of temporary total compensation (Salary continuation) - A voluntary program where the employer continues to pay the injured worker's full salary and benefits in lieu of any compensation from BWC.