Consultation is voluntary and must be requested by management. Call 800-282-1425 or submit the request for service form below. The consultant will discuss your specific needs with you and schedule a visit at a time convenient for you.
Is this service for you?
Through this FREE and CONFIDENTIAL program we offer:
- Free on-site safety and industrial hygiene inspections and consultations.
- Safety and health program assistance.
- Safety and health training or seminars.
- Printed and electronic resources.
The OSHA On-Site Consultation Program does not issue citations or assess penalties. The Program does not have right of entry to a workplace – we must be invited. All serious hazards identified are required to be abated within a mutually agreed upon time frame.
- Reducing worker injury and illness rates
- Decreasing workers' comp costs
- Improving worker morale
- Increasing productivity
- Recognizing and removing hazards from the workplace
- Improving safety and health management systems
Role of the consultants
- Help employers recognize hazards in the workplace
- Assist employers in developing or improving safety and health management programs
- Suggest general approaches or options for solving a safety or health problem
- Identify resources available if an employer needs further assistance
- Provide employers with a written report summarizing findings
Frequently asked questions
What is the expertise of the OSHA On-Site consultants and how are they trained?
Every OSHA On-Site consultant is required to attend training at the OSHA Training Institute. These are the same courses taken by OSHA compliance officers. Many consultants also have advanced degrees and certifications in areas such industrial hygiene or safety.
What types of consultations does the OSHA On-Site Consultation Program offer?
Generally speaking, employers want to provide a safe workplace. They want to comply with OSHA regulations, but often are not sure how those rules apply to their worksite. OSHA On-Site consultants can help employers understand those requirements, identify hazards in the workplace, and suggest safety system improvements to prevent recurrence.
Employers can choose the scope of the consultation, from limited visits for specific issues to comprehensive visits where all aspects are evaluated.
OSHA On-Site consultants are frequently asked to assist companies as a result of an anonymous (non-formal) complaint filed with OSHA, or the required reporting of an amputation or hospitalization of an employee. In these situations, consultants work only with the employer – not with OSHA. When addressing a non-formal complaint requires air or noise monitoring, industrial hygiene consultants are available.
How can I schedule an OSHA On-Site consultation?
To request an OSHA On-site consultation, submit the request online. A safety consultant will contact you within two business days.