Web Content Viewer
Salary continuation

Salary continuation allows you to pay your injured employee's full salary and benefits after a workplace injury or illness occurs. This potentially reduces your workers' compensation costs and future premiums.

Salary continuation also is called wages in lieu of temporary total (TT) compensation.

An injured worker has the option to accept or reject your salary continuation payments, unless there is a collective bargaining contract that states otherwise. If the injured worker rejects salary continuation, BWC may pay him or her TT.

Completing the Salary Continuation Agreement (C-55)
Use the Salary Continuation Agreement (C-55) to acknowledge that you agree to pay your employee's regular salary and benefits in lieu of TT, i.e., as if the employee was working.

  • BWC is not a party in this agreement.
  • You or a company representative, and the employee must sign the form.
  • Submit the signed form to BWC by faxing or mailing it to your local BWC service office.

Important: You must submit a C-55 or equivalent information, signed by your company's representative and the injured worker, for each period of salary continuation to be paid. This does not mean for each pay period, but for each period of disability as identified on the C-55. Base the end date of the salary continuation payment on the expected disability period as supported by medical documentation, not to exceed 45 days. Do not list "until return to work" or a vague future date on the form to avoid submitting additional C-55s.

Paying salary continuation
As the employer of record, you can pay the injured worker salary continuation until you or the injured worker terminates payments. At that time, if appropriate, BWC may pay the injured worker TT.

If BWC finds at any time you are not paying the injured worker's regular full wages, we may begin paying TT if the injured worker submits a signed Request for Temporary Total Compensation (C-84), along with the supporting medical evidence.

Getting help
For more information, refer to the Salary Continuation fact sheet.

If you have questions regarding our salary continuation policy, contact the assigned claims service specialist or your assigned account representative.