Web Content Viewer
Applying for Coverage

In Ohio, all employers with one or more employees must, by law, have workers' compensation coverage. Coverage for Ohio employers and their employees becomes effective when BWC receives:

Independent contractors and subcontractors also must obtain coverage for their employees. If you do not have an existing policy with BWC and you are a new employer starting a business, or if you have acquired all of an existing business, you must complete the Application for Ohio Workers’ Compensation Coverage (U-3).

State-fund public employers - defined as school districts, counties, townships, or other public employer taxing districts - must include a resolution or copy of their meeting minutes signed by an appointing authority, and/or the court order creating the entity when applying for coverage. Public employers can mail their completed applications with these additional documents to the following address:

Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation
Attn: Policy Processing Department
30 W. Spring St.
22nd floor
Columbus, OH  43215

Once coverage starts, the employer can set up their e-account to report payroll, pay premiums and access policy information. Employers may even earn discounts by paying online and on time. Refer to the following for more information.

As a new employer, you will also be responsible for selecting a managed care organization (MCO). An MCO manages the medical portion of a claim to ensure injured workers receive the quality medical care they deserve. If you do not choose an MCO within 30 days, we may assign one.

Visit the Understanding managed care organizations page for additional information and to access the MCO Selection Form.