The nation's substance use epidemic touches us all, including the business community. Employers have jobs to fill but hesitate to hire workers with a drug-use history. Workers recovering from addiction want to work but aren't given the chance. Other workers might be addicted, but go undetected, putting workplace safety at risk. Making it even more complicated — the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program (SURWSP) can help.
Brought to you by your local Alcohol Drug Addiction and Mental Health board and the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, this program for participating counties reimburses employers for:
- Development and legal review of employer policies and procedures about substance use issues.
- Training for employees to understand substance use and their employer’s related policies.
- Training to equip supervisors and managers to better manage employees in recovery.
- Drug testing for prospective and current employees in recovery.
The program also provides access to a free employee wellness incentive program, BWC’s Better You! Better Ohio! program.
You'll find the program policy in the Policies section of our website.
To enroll, complete the Substance Use Recovery Workplace Safety Program Enrollment Form (SUR-1). Employers use this form to enroll in the Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program.
To apply for reimbursement of any of the above services, download and complete the Substance Use Recovery Workplace Safety Program Request for Reimbursement (SUR-2). Then, email it to the appropriate ADAMH board.
For more information, you can contact your home county ADAMHS board.
- Allen, Auglaize, Hardin: 419-222-5120 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athens, Hocking, Vinton: 740-593-3177 or email@example.com
- Clark, Greene, and Madison: 937-322-0648 Ext: 119 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clermont: 513-732-5407 or Kscherra@ccmhrb.org
- Crawford, Marion: 740-387-8531 or Brad.DeCamp@mcadamh.com
- Cuyahoga: 216-479-3269 or Henderson@adamhscc.org
- Hamilton: 513-946-8625 or email@example.com
- Lorain: 440-282-9920 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucas: 419-213-4600 or email@example.com
- Mahoning: 330-746-2959 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Montgomery: 937-443-0416 or SURWSP@mcadamhs.org
- Muskingum, Perry, Coshocton, Guernsey, Morgan, Noble: 740-454-8557 ext 100 or Eshuster@mhrs.org
- Sandusky, Seneca and Wyandot: 419-448-0640 or email@example.com
- Summit: 330-564-4085 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Union: 937-642-1212 or email@example.com
- Washington: 740-374-6990 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To review the list of BWC approved Drug-Free safety vendors, see the DFSP vendor directory.
To contact BWC with questions, email us at BWCSURWSP@bwc.state.oh.us.
Workforce toll: In a survey of more than 3,200 businesses and nearly 1,500 community leaders, the Ohio Chamber of Commerce found more than half are suffering consequences of substance misuse, including absenteeism, decreased productivity, and shortage of workers.
"What we know from our experience is that when people want to recover from an addiction and you give them the tools, they will recover. We have several workers in recovery, including supervisors, who are committed, loyal and do very well here." - Bart Frost, HR and safety director, Taylor Lumber, Scioto County.
Working together, we can turn this around.