The EM Cap Program will limit the increase to an employer's experience modifier (EM) to 100 percent of the previous year's published EM. The previous year's EM could be an individual EM or group EM if the employer was participating in a group-rating plan that year.
Example: An employer is in a maximum discount group and gets the group EM of 0.47. They're not renewed in a group the next year, so the company would go to base rate (EM of 1.00). However, because the employer is eligible for EM capping, we'll cap the EM for the year at 0.94.
- Be a private employer or a public employer taxing district.
- Not have cumulative lapses in workers' comp coverage in excess of 40 days within the preceding 12 months.
- Be current with respect to all payments due BWC, including any part-pay agreement.
- Report actual payroll for the preceding policy year, and pay any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium and actual premium for that policy year no later than the date set forth in rule OAC 4123-17-14.
Safety training requirements
In your first year of participation, you must complete a one-half day, three-hour industry-specific safety classroom* course through the Division of Safety & Hygiene (DSH) or complete three hours of online courses offered by DSH.
However, if you have an uncapped EM of 1.00 (base rated) or less (credit rated), in your first year of participation, you must complete three hours of online safety training courses offered by DSH or three one-hour safety training courses at the annual All-Ohio Safety Congress and Expo.
All subsequent year participants must complete any one of the following:
- One half-day industry-specific safety classroom* course offered by DSH.
- Three hours of online safety training courses offered by DSH.
- Three one-hour safety training courses at the annual All-Ohio Safety Congress and Expo.
*Due to coronavirus (COVID-19) BWC is not currently offering in-person classroom training classes, although a small portion of the training class schedule is being held virtually. Please refer to the BWC calendar of events or the BWC Learning Management System for details of the Virtual Training Class (VTC) offerings.
Safety training requirements must be completed by the following dates.
- Private employers, by the last business day of March.
- Public employer taxing districts, by the last business day of September.
Note: Employers who want to keep the EM cap for the subsequent year must complete three hours of online safety classes through this website.
Enrolling in the program
There’s no need to apply. We’ll contact you if you qualify for this program.