This program allows both public and private employers with better-than-average claim histories to join together through a sponsoring organization. We then rate each employer in the group as one. By participating in group-experience rating, employers potentially may enjoy much lower premium rates than they could attain on their own. An employer's workers' comp coverage is still through BWC; however, BWC does not form the groups.
- Be current on all undisputed premiums, administrative costs, assessments, fines or monies otherwise due to BWC.
- More specifically, be current not more than 45 days past the due date on any balance greater than $200 due to BWC, by the application deadline. The only exceptions are when a policy is placed into an appealed status or a BWC-approved payment plan is in place.
- Be current on the payment schedule for any scheduled part-pay agreement you've entered into to pay premiums or assessments otherwise due BWC as of the application deadline.
- No cumulative lapses in workers' comp coverage in excess of 40 days in the past 12 months preceding the application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one group your policy will be enrolled in the group with the most recently signed AC-26.
- Report actual payroll for the preceding policy year, and pay any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium and actual premium for that policy year no later than the date set forth in Ohio Administrative Code 4123-17-14.
Third-party administrators must submit a list of employers who are members of each group to BWC by the required application deadline. The employers within the group must be businesses that are substantially similar. Each sponsoring organization's group program must substantially improve accident prevention and claims handling. The sponsoring organization must document improvement.
Enrolling in the program
Third-party administrators (TPAs) working for sponsoring organizations such as chambers of commerce or trade associations send out invitations to employers that may qualify to apply to the program.
Private employers: Group sponsors must submit applications by the Monday immediately before the fourth Thursday in November preceding a policy year that starts July 1.
Public employers: Group sponsors must submit applications on or before the last business day in May preceding the policy year that starts Jan. 1.
For more information, see the Group-Experience-Rating Program fact sheet.
- BWC-certified sponsor list: Group-Experience-Rating Program and Group-Retrospective-Rating Program
- Sponsor and TPA list
- FY/CY20 Guidelines for Group-Rating Training