BWC developed the Industry-Specific Safety Program (ISSP) to encourage Ohio's employers to use the many safety services and programs available through our Division of Safety & Hygiene (DSH).
We designed the ISSP program to raise awareness among employers and workers through the completion of an online safety assessment, provide employers with year-round training education opportunities, and provide tailored consultations that address safety issues in the workplace.
- Be current with respect to all payments due BWC as of the application deadline.
- No cumulative lapses in workers' comp coverage in excess of 40 days within the 12 months preceding the application deadline.
- Must have reported actual payroll for the preceding policy year and paid any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium with actual premium no later than the due date.
Enrolling in the program
Complete the Application for Industry-Specific Safety Program (SH-28).
- Private employers by the last business day of May.
- Public employers by the last business day of November.
We automatically renew participating employers that meet eligibility requirements for the next program year. If you need to make changes to your contact information or to withdraw from participation, submit a written request to the BWC employer programs unit.
To receive the 3-percent, ISSP bonus, employers commit to completing the following activities during their program year. (Private employers between July 1 and June 30; public employers between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31)
- Completion of an online safety management self-assessment within the first 30 days of the start of the policy year.
- Completion of loss prevention activities based on payroll.
We use the most recent policy year for which payroll information is available to determine the required number of loss prevention activities:
- Payroll less than or equal to $100,000 = one loss prevention activity.
- Payroll more than $100,000 and up to $300,000 = any two loss prevention activities.
- Payroll more than $300,000 = any three loss prevention activities.
Loss prevention activities
Industry-specific safety classes offered by DSH*
The DSH training center offers continuing education courses on occupational safety and health topics. Courses emphasize the practical application of safety principles, development of a safety culture, current and proposed standards for regulatory compliance and risk programs. To identify safety training courses that meet program requirements, view the Safety Services Catalog.
Note: Please check the Safety Services Catalog ISSP industry class matrix, not all DSH courses qualify for every industry classification.
- An employer successfully completing three hours of online education will achieve one loss prevention activity credit.
- An employer successfully completing a half-day, full-day, or multiple day industry-specific safety course will achieve one loss prevention activity credit.
Participation in an industry-specific class can result in a maximum of one loss prevention activity credit, no matter how many employer representatives are in attendance.
Safety consulting by DSH experts*
BWC's safety specialists will visit your workplace to provide an assessment, training, and/or safety program development advice to maintain a safer workplace. Safety consultants, industrial hygienists and ergonomists are available in each of our service offices to provide consultation to earn a loss prevention activity. Learn more about safety consultations.
Based on an employer's unique needs, a BWC consultant will perform one of the following consultation activities for loss prevention activity credit:
- Company specific safety training.
- Customer safety team development.
- Ergonomics assessment.
- Industrial hygiene assessment.
- Safety hazard assessment for construction.
- Safety hazard assessment for general industry.
- Safety management process evaluation.
- Safety program/process development.
Following the consultation, the employer must complete an online consultation survey to earn the loss prevention activity credit.
Annual Ohio Safety Congress & Expo
- Employers participating in the ISSP can receive one loss prevention activity credit by attending three one-hour sessions or a half-day or full-day workshop. A general session will qualify as one of the one-hour educational sessions.
- DSH recommends employers enrolled in ISSP register in advance at www.ohiosafetycongress.com. Registration is free.
- Individuals may not represent more than one BWC policy number. Follow the instructions provided at the Ohio Safety Congress & Expo to document your attendance. For information about the Ohio Safety Congress & Expo, see the Safety Services Catalog.