This program is for employers that have been removed from the Group-Experience Rating Program due to a significant claim. It helps employers with minimal claims lessen the impact of a large claim coming into their experience next year.
To participate in OCP, you must have a single significant claim entering your experience for the first time. A significant claim is one whose total cost exceeds the expected losses for an employer based on size and industry — also known as total limited losses — calculated for that policy year. You may only designate one significant claim every four years.
In addition to the base rate reduction, OCP provides an opportunity for employers to gain a better understanding of claims management and work to prevent future claims. Effective claims management can help employers get back into a group-rating program more quickly.
- Be enrolled in a group-rating program.
- Have a single, significant claim entering experience for the first time that prevents you from being renewed in group-rating.
- Not have more than three minor claims in addition to the one significant claim during the experience period.
- Be current (no more than 45 days past due) on any premiums, assessments or other monies due to BWC as of the application deadline.
- Not have cumulative lapses in workers' compensation coverage in excess of 40 days within the twelve months preceding the application deadline.
- Report actual payroll for the preceding policy year, and pay any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium and actual premium for that policy year no later than the date set forth in Ohio Administrative Code 4123-17-14.
Enrolling in the program
Private employers: Complete the Application for One Claim Program (OCP-1) by the last business day in January.
Public employers: Complete the Application for One Claim Program (OCP-1) by the last business day in July.
You must submit an application each year. BWC will not automatically enroll you in the program. BWC will determine initial and ongoing eligibility based on claims activity during the experience period. BWC maintains the right to remove an employer from the program that does not meet eligibility requirements.
How it works
An employer who meets all the eligibility requirements will receive the following up front discount off the base rate.
- 20 percent during the first year in the program.
- 15 percent in the second year.
- 10 percent in the third year.
- 5 percent in the fourth year.
Safety training requirements
In your first year of participation, you must complete one half-day classroom industry-specific safety course offered by the Division of Safety & Hygiene (DSH) or three hours of online safety training courses offered by DSH.
Second, third, and fourth year participants must attend or complete any one of the following:
- One half-day (classroom) industry-specific safety course offered by the DSH.
- Three hours of online safety training courses offered by the DSH.
- Three one-hour training sessions at the All-Ohio Safety Congress and Expo.
- A training class or seminar developed by BWC, and approved by DSH, for satisfying OCP safety requirements.
Safety training requirements must be completed by the following dates:
- Private employers, by the last business day of March.
- Public employer taxing districts, by the last business day of September.
Note: Employers must complete three hours of online safety classes through this website.