Web Content Viewer

Transitional work developers

How to select a transitional work developer

To create a transitional work plan and apply to BWC for a Transitional Work Grant, employers need to hire a BWC-accredited transitional work developer. Your developer  will work with you one-on-one to design a customized program just for your needs.

While working with a developer, you will establish a working relationship with health-care providers in your area who will respond to your injured workers' medical and rehabilitation needs and understand your company's business operations. Your developer provides individualized training on how to identify and develop transitional work tasks. The developer will design a specialized training plan for all levels of your management team and employees. To provide quality service, transitional work developers must be accredited vocational or medical case managers, physical or occupational therapists, and have transitional work experience. They also must have successfully completed BWC's orientation class and receive a BWC-Accredited Transitional Work Developer certificate.

Here is a list of BWC-accredited transitional work developers. The list includes their names, business email addresses, phone numbers, and the counties they serve. Employers hiring a transitional work developer should interview several developers on the list and select one that best meets their company's needs. Your managed care organization or third-party administrator can also assist you in selecting a developer.

How to become a BWC-accredited developer

BWC offers full-day developer orientation classes. BWC provides announcements of the date, time, and location of the transitional work developer orientation classes in News and Events, in Provider eNews, and on Facebook and Twitter. All transitional work developers must be a vocational or medical case manager with one of the following certifications/accreditations or state licensure.

  • American Board of Vocational Experts (ABVE).
  • Occupational Health Nursing (COHN(S)).
  • Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC).
  • Certified Disability Management Specialist (CDMS).
  • Certified Vocational Evaluator (CVE).
  • Certified Rehabilitation Nurse (CRRN).
  • Certified Case Manager (CCM).
  • Physical or occupational therapist license from the Ohio Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Athletic Trainer Board.

Qualified providers wanting to register for the Transitional Work Developer Orientation class need to complete the Transitional Work Developer Orientation Application (TWD-115).

Developer re-accreditation

A BWC transitional work developer accreditation expires two years from the date we issue the accreditation number and every two years thereafter. A developer certificate clearly illustrates the issuance date. Unfortunately, a lapse in a developer's accreditation will prevent an employer from receiving reimbursement for a transitional work plan.
BWC offers a two-hour, computer-based webinar developers may attend from their home or office to fulfill the re-accreditation requirement. Transitional work developers receive an email notice of expiration of their accreditation and the upcoming webinar dates and time. Notice of developer re-accreditation webinars are on our website in News and Events, in Provider eNews, and on Facebook and Twitter.

You may register for BWC’s Re-accreditation Class  by completing the Transitional Work Developer's Reaccreditation Application (TWD-116).

Submit your application to:
transitional work support
Fax: 614-621-5758
BWC's Transitional Work Grant Program
30 W. Spring St., 20th  floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215-0335

Developers will receive confirmation of receipt of their application and class registration information by email. If you have questions about the classes, email transitional work support or call 614-995-0437.

Related links

• Application for Transitional Work Grant Program (TWG-1)
• Transitional Work Developer's Application (TWD-115)
Transitional Work Developer's Reaccreditation Application (TWD-116)
• BWC-accredited transitional work developers
Application for Transitional Work Bonus Program (TWB-1)