Web Content Viewer

Receiving Benefits

Determining the start date

  • BWC shall pay temporary total (TT) beginning on day eight when the injured worker (IW) is disabled for more than seven days, but less than 14 consecutive days, due to a work-related injury. 

  • If the IW becomes disabled for 14 or more consecutive (calendar) days due to the same work-related injury, BWC shall pay TT for the first seven days of disability whenever that occurs in the life of the claim.


  • The IW's date of injury and last date worked are July 1.
  • The IW's period of disability is eight days, July 2 through July 9.
  • The IW returns to work on July 10.
  • The IW is paid TT for July 9; however, TT is not payable from July 2 through July 8 as the IW has not been disabled for 14 or more consecutive (calendar) days.
  • The IW has a subsequent period of disability from Aug. 1 through Aug. 31. The IW returns to work on Sept. 1. 
  • The IW is paid TT for July 2 through July 8 in addition to Aug. 1 through Aug. 31 because he/she has 14 or more consecutive days of disability due to a work-related injury.


  • The first seven days of disability are payable with other types of compensation benefits.
  • Claims services staff shall consider the following payments as wages in lieu of TT and count them toward the first 12 weeks of TT when they are paid.
  • An IW's medical-only claim in Accepted status may qualify for benefits even if there is no lost time from work.

Paying benefits

BWC electronically deposits all payments (compensation) unless there are reasons why they can't (extenuating circumstances) or if the injured worker does not have a Social Security number.

If the claim is in Accepted status, we'll mail the first compensation payment as a paper check (also called a paper warrant) to the injured worker's home address (or designated locale) via U.S. mail, along with a letter about signing up for direct deposit. We also provide overnight delivery for paper checks that are lost in the mail or were not mailed in a timely manner.

Unless the injured worker provides the existing personal bank account information, we will set up the injured worker with a Key Bank Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) debit card account. The EBT debit card provides 24-hour access anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

All BWC benefit payments are eligible for the following payment methods. The injured worker can:

  • Deposit benefit payments and/or travel payments directly into one of their existing personal checking or savings accounts. This is called Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and the payment is automatically transferred to their bank. To apply for this service, complete the ACT Enrollment and Direct Deposit Authorization (A-12).

  • Enroll in the Key Bank debit card program. If the injured worker does not have a personal bank account, Key Bank will issue a debit card and have the benefit payment automatically transferred to that debit card account. This is called Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). To apply for this service, complete the Electronic Benefit Card (A-21).

For more information about BWC benefit payment programs, contact a local claims office or call BWC at 1-800-644-6292.

Changing financial institutions

To change a financial account from one bank (financial institution) to another, complete the Direct Deposit ACT Bank Change (A-35). This is a direct deposit change form.