Web Content Viewer

Choosing a Medical Provider

If the initial doctor treating the injured worker is a BWC-certified medical provider, the worker can keep visiting that doctor. Or, the injured worker can select another BWC-certified medical provider.

Important: Except in an emergency or for the initial visit, injured workers are responsible for paying their medical bills if they have a non-BWC certified medical provider treat them.

Finding a BWC-certified provider

To locate a BWC-certified medical provider in your area:

  • View the BWC Provider look up.
  • Call BWC at 1-800-644-6292.
  • Call the employer's managed care organization (MCO).

Although an injured worker's employer might also suggest a doctor for you to visit, the injured worker can visit any BWC-certified medical provider.

When any medical provider treats the work-related injury, give them the workers' compensation claim number, the MCO information and the allowed conditions in the claim.

Note: Doctors are also called the physician of record (POR) and the treating physician. A POR is a BWC-certified medical provider.

Changing a medical provider

Injured workers can change doctors by completing a Notice to Change Physician of Record (C-23). Then, send the completed form to their assigned MCO for processing.

If the employer is self-insuring, complete the C-23 and send it directly to the injured worker's employer.